Subscribe with Bloglines

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Reflection #1

I can see how technology can really enhance classroom learning. It gives the students a way to access information in a new way. Odds are that many students would be more adept at this than the teachers. As a teacher I could use this as a way to connect with my students in a new way, I could ask them to teach me as I learn to use this new technology.

I do see some downsides to making a class completely reliant on technology. I can not make the assumption that every student has access; some students and their families are not connected to the Internet. It would be unfair to those students to expect them to participate in any on-line classes. I can see where some people would want to eliminate teachers and use strictly on-line classes. This brings up a whole new set of questions. "Who is doing the work or checking the work?" "What about the social part of school, where students learn to work and live in a society?"

Just as any technology is created we have to ask our selves how can we use it to the most of its capability in the fairest possible manner.

2 comments:

  1. You've brought up some good questions to consider as you go through the class.
    Access – are we being fair and equitable if we require that students use computer technology for an assignment?
    Social skills – as more content is put online, are students negatively impacted by less face-to-face classroom communication?
    Learning - yes, who is actually doing the work?

    You'll bring more experience to the table as you explore the 23 Things and look for solutions, but I'm sure you'll leave with more questions too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too wonder about the social aspect of school as well. I have noticed that there are fewer and fewer chances for the students to be social and to collaborate as the curriculum becomes ever more challenging. Perhaps technology will offer a different way to be collaborative...

    ReplyDelete